2010-04-22 15:00:00 by SMARTBRIDE
Green Weddings: How Green Will You Go?
How big is the carbon footprint that my wedding will leave behind?
This is probably one of the last questions you will ask yourself while you attend to numerous details and plan your big day, so I have some tips for you in order to make your carbon footprint smaller without having to spend too much time worrying about it.
Photo Courtesy of Garden of Eade Organic Catering
Here are some quick and easy things you can do to shrink your wedding’s carbon footprint:
- If possible, choose a venue where you can have both your ceremony and your reception. This will cut down on travel time to and from the ceremony and the reception. It may even save you some green "money" of your own, as some venues have special packages for holding more than one event at the same site.
- Choose a caterer that uses either organic or locally grown ingredients, foods, and produce. Not only will this help your local economy, but it’s healthier for you and your guests, and the impact on the environment is much lower.
- Use organic or fair trade flowers. You don’t have to sacrifice unique and stunning arrangements just because you are using flowers that are more eco-friendly.
- Choose a photographer who can create a digital scrapbook rather than a more traditional printed photo album.
- Instead of a paper guest book why not have a video guest book? This way your guests can leave a message for you on a DVD that you can have for years to come.
- Create a wedding website for your guests that will include an RSVP option. In addition to being green, this will save you from paying postage and will eliminate the cost of paper RSVP cards.
If you want to get an estimate for the carbon footprint of your wedding you can visit Terrapass.
Until next time happy planning,
About our Guest Blogger: Amalia Ward
Amalia Ward and Tiffany daSilva created Talen Events with a focus on living a green lifestyle. We are an environmentally conscious event firm in Ontario dedicated to creating unique events that highlight and preserve the environment. At Talen Events we are eco-friendly & casually elegant...just like you.
More from Amalia of Talen Events: