2012-03-20 06:00:00 by SMARTBRIDE
Bride-To-Be: Choosing Your Bridesmaid Dresses
The Bridesmaid Dress....
While all eyes will be on you and your dress on the big day, there are still a few other important dresses to think about... your bridesmaids' dresses!
Photo from Frocks Photo Gallery
When it comes to bridesmaid dresses, there are a million different styles you could choose from - long, short, straps, strapless, plain, patterned..... not to mention all of the different designers. It's almost as difficult as picking your own wedding dress!
Thanks to the princess contest, my decision was a lot less complicated than most. Frocks Vancouver generously offered up three cocktail-length Alfred Sung dresses.
Before I found out about the contest, my bridesmaids and I had already spent quite a bit of time scouring the Internet in search of the perfect dress, or dresses. I was pretty sure we had stumbled upon the right dress when my maid of honour sent me a link to an Alfred Sung dress that I was literally about to send to her!
Keep reading for my top priorities for bridesmaid dresses, as well as 4 tips for choosing a bridesmaid dress!
Top Priorities for My Bridesmaid Dresses
I really wanted:
- My ladies to get involved in the dress search. The way I see it, they're the ones that have to wear the dresses and be photographed all day in them!
- Something they would be comfortable in, and...
- The dresses to be ones they could wear again.
Since I don't live in the same city as my girls, we had to wait a while before going shopping. My original plan was to have all three of them wear different (but similar) dresses in the same colour. I love the idea of doing this – it gives a real uniqueness to the wedding, and lets each of the girls show off their personalities a little more. Plus, it lets them pick a style that looks best for them.
In the end, all three of my ladies fell in love with the same dress I did (I knew I picked them for a reason)!
Even though they will all be wearing the same dress, they'll still be able to stand out from each other in other ways – from shoes to hairstyles. After all, I wasn’t about to dictate their entire look for the day!
My Bridesmaid Dresses: Alfred Sung Style D498 in "Majestic"
4 Tips for Choosing Bridesmaid Dresses
- Go Online for Inspiration: We all spent some time searching online to get different ideas based on what I liked AND what they thought would work. Although there are so many different places to look online it can be overwhelming, it's still a good way to get a feel for what's available.
- Start with the Big 3: If you're really confused about where to start, there are a few fairly common designers you can begin with – Alfred Angelo and Alfred Sung and The Dessy Group
- Get Input: Don't forget to talk to your bridesmaids and get their input! I believe it's really important for a bride to listen to her maids, since they'll be the ones wearing those dresses, and usually paying for them.
- Find the Right “Fit”: Since the dresses are a big deal, make sure they match the feel of your wedding. In my case, even though we're having a fairly formal wedding, it's in the spring, so I thought cocktail-length would be appropriate and easier for my attendants to wear again.
Have fun shopping!